There are clearly risks in P2P lending, but we're here to help with our candid views. 4thWay educates and informs you about this new type of investing, and alerts you to risks and opportunities.
4thWay in five bullet points
- We provide online comparison, expert research and plain-English journalism with the sole focus of helping people with savings to lend better: lend more safely and increase your peer-to-peer (P2P) lending returns where possible.
- 4thWay® was founded in 2014 as the world's first ratings and research agency for online lending such as P2P and marketplace lending.
- We are staunchly independent and provide highly candid opinion, as users and professionals frequently testify.
- We’re experienced investors, bank-risk modelling professionals and investment journalists, with support from a fund manager as well as a credit-specialist and partner of one of the major accountancy firms. We believe we have all the skills required to model the risks in peer-to-peer lending. (Scroll down for more on our talented team.)
- We are democratically governed by our users – people such as yourselves – who ensure our number one aim: absolute trustworthiness.
What we do for you – for free!
- Help you learn about P2P lending.
- Dramatically lower your risks and increase your potential rewards through online guides and tips.
- We believe we can help you to earn as much as two-fifths more interest while lowering your risks.
- We think we can lower your recession risks by as much as 90%.
- Alert you to rising risks (e.g. if a P2P lending website starts allowing more flaky borrowers).
- Help you to cut out the banks and keep the interest for yourselves.
“Very useful…Keep up the good work!”
Read many more testimonials from people like you.
4thWay® PLUS Ratings and Risk Scores
The 4thWay® PLUS Ratings are a test of the chances of losing money as a result of bad debts in a severe recession and how long it might take to recover those losses. The risk scores compare the risks to savings accounts at the lowest risk end and the stock market at the higher end. We think our ratings are based on the toughest assessments in the industry, worldwide.
Please read About The 4thWay PLUS Ratings for more.
4thWay® is democratically governed by you, our users
Our mission is to be by far the most trustworthy source of P2P lending information for lenders.
We are democratically governed by a panel of our website users nominated by you (the Panel of Peers) to ensure we are impartial, accurate and don't forget to mention important pros and cons.
4thWay's P2P lending research is, therefore, approved by your peers!
How we earn money
So get started! Compare the peer-to-peer lending websites – and their risks, rewards and special features – now, or browse our guides and articles.
Meet 4thWay's experts
Neil Faulkner, Managing Director and Editor
Neil Faulkner has been an investor since the 1990s, and has been working in and around the financial services industry for most of his career, including as an investment journalist and editor.
He co-founded 4thWay® when he realised that peer-to-peer lending was being sold like safer savings accounts and that there was little analysis from experienced investors and banking professionals.
Leigh Baker, Consultant Risk Adviser
Leigh Baker is a senior risk-modelling professional who has improved borrower selection for most major banks, as well as P2P lending companies, such as building risk and credit models for ThinCats and consultancy to Landbay and MarketInvoice.
Over 20 years, Leigh has proven his creative data science and mathematical modelling capabilities. He has taken several UK and European companies through the FCA authorisation process successfully.
Leigh has substantially upgraded the 4thWay® PLUS Ratings and, with the help of a six-person risk-modelling team with 100 years experience between them, is available through 4thWay® to unlock new products and services and to improve default rates for P2P lending platforms and institutional investors.
Melwin Mehta, fund manager
A highly experienced investment fund manager. He has read thousands of pages of company reports a week and met hundreds of CEOs every year for 15 years. His forte is drawing out revealing facts from CEOs.
Anonymous, credit specialist
“Anonymous” is a credit specialist and senior partner at one of the major consultancy firms. Since around half his clients are banks – natural competitors to peer-to-peer lenders – his identity is a secret.
4thWay's junior researchers
Matthew Howard, researcher and writer
Matt is has more than just a keen interest in peer-to-peer lending. He's an analytical thinker who can also write in a way that everyone can understand.
Jane Rey, researcher and writer
Jane is a writer turned analyst who has rapidly sponged up the ethos of 4thWay for providing candid and accurate research.
Read about experienced investment journalist Cliff D'Arcy here.
Meet the rest of our talented team
Nick Horrocks, CTO and Lead Programmer
Nick Horrocks has extraordinary experience in the start-up space stretching over two decades.
He's managed technology and infrastructure, hired medium-sized virtual teams and managed budgets, reporting directly to the CEO, for several start-up businesses including getfractal.com, ibiditrade.com and hotproperty.co.uk.
Nick launched the first online offering for several large corporates including vogue.co.uk, gqmagazine.com, Debenhams, Top Shop, Top Man, Harrods and Christies Auctioneers. He is also in the top ten out of 450,000 freelance consultants on peopleperhour.com, and the father of three lovely children.
Web project manager and doubles as head of UK sales. Finalist in Most Popular SCRUM Professional category in the Agile Awards 2015) and having successfully delivered for Which?, national newspapers, and 4thWay®.
A very professional financial marketing and PR manager, formerly Head of Global PR at The Motley Fool, who modestly says her main job is to hold Neil's hand when he does BBC interviews, but so long as they only show his face no one will notice.
We couldn't have done it – and keep doing it – without these others:
Ashok Rao, business and technical consultant. Despite his formidable experience, he says his main role during start-up was to ensure Neil doesn't get carried away with his ideas – but that, while he's had his work cut out for him, Neil's come along nicely and it all worked out in the end!
Barrie, who works with Mark by looking after our relationships with the P2P lending platforms in order to help the research team keep an impartial distance.